Thursday, March 18, 2010

I am an artist




I am an artist. There, I said it. I started off as one; then decided art was a one way ticket to poverty and gave it up for twenty years. I did not even try. Let's call it low self esteem. That's in the past.

Now I am back. And I love it.

I am a programmer and I love that too. So now I have two great careers and only 24 hour days.

I have a beautiful 2 year old daughter who is the light of my life.

She also takes up a lot of time so when they invent 27 hour days I will be happy.

In the meantime, I have given up on TV most nights and spend those being productive instead.

I snatch a couple of hours on a Sunday and have a tv viewing fest – then I have to be choosy about what I watch and get my fix in between hubby’s sports.

Lucky for me PVR was invented – so I can pick the time and the program. Lovely.

So now I spend my days painting as much as possible in between my full time job and my family.

I have done four paintings so far and soon as I have a few more I will see about selling my art. I have sold some in the past – but that was when I was a newly graduated Art student. I don’t actually have many of my paintings left; a lot of them are in other people’s houses – mostly friends and family.

So here is my favourite painting – it won a merit award in an exhibition and it almost got sold but now I am glad it didn’t – this is the one I want to keep.


I will post some more as soon as I have a decent camera to photograph them.

By the way, I am addicted to Argentine tango too, so I am sure I will be posting lots of tango stuff in the future.

About me – well – born in Cyprus to British parents, grew up in the UK until we emigrated to South Africa when I was six.

Lived here ever since, apart from a couple of years back in the UK.

I love living in SA. The lifestyle (for the middle classes anyway) and the weather are fabulous.

Discovered I could draw at the age of eight at the same time I discovered horses and developed a passion for both. Now I can sketch a nifty looking horse in 30 secs.

Everything else needs a reference.

My art bio is as follows:

After the horse drawing frenzy at age eight, I later won the sunday newspaper art competition 4 times at age of 14 - I think the prize back then was R2 or so for each entry published. I managed to get every entry I sent in published so got R8 richer.

Discovered paint by numbers around same age and did my first oil painting without numbers at 15. I still have it – will put it up soon as I take a picture of it.

1988 - Fine arts degree at Wits majoring in painting.

1987 - Got two works chosen for the annual student exhibition in the Getrude Posel Gallery.

1987 - Received a merit award for my piggy painting in the New Signatures exhibition in Pretoria.

Worked as a landscape artist for a company that sold quick paintings – we used to paint about eight landscapes a day.

Sold two paintings.

Here they are – I kept photos – back in the days when you had to go to a shop and get them developed the old way.

Gave a pile away to family and friends.

Did a few commissions too, but did not keep records of those - silly me, I still think about those and would love to see them again.

1989 - Dropped out of the art scene.

2010 – Back with lots of ideas and wishing I had more time to get them all done.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, congrats on setting up your blog. Now there's no going back lol. You know I love the pig painting, haven't seen the horses before and I think its even better!!!! Here's to a fantastic artistic future!!!!!

    Marlon

    ReplyDelete