Thursday, April 8, 2010

A breakthrough!

I have spent the last couple of weeks feeling artistically stuck – I have been battling with two paintings, one a landscape and the other a swimming pool.
I got fed up with the landscape so I put it to one side and started the swimming pool.
Then I found myself floundering over this one too.
So I spent some time contemplating my early work and remembered how easy it was back then, it all seemed to flow. I realized how much I liked to express myself with paint, using lots of brushwork and clean colours.
So I decided to stop being such a slave to the source – you know, trying to get it drawn exactly right and matching the colours etc.
It was much more fun to get free with the colours, making them my own; I also switched brush types and got into layering thick creamy paint onto the canvas, and not getting too fussy about the details.
Now the swimming pool is almost finished! Just need it to dry a bit and then will add some finishing touches.

Then I started a really big canvas, my first big one in more than 20 years, I am quite excited about this one and because I was on a roll I didn’t get intimidated by the size.
I felt like everything was flowing, it was like the good old days.

I will post the swimming pool once it’s done and I am thinking of showing progress pics of the big one so you can see the process from start to finish.
Here is the first shot.

I am not so sure about the composition, I think it needs more distance from the bed, so I may have to do a redraw. Drat.
Or maybe not. Decisions, decisions. Shoulda made a preliminary sketch first on a smaller piece of paper, but hey, I was on a roll. I have never done preliminary sketches before so why start now? Makes sense though, I know lots of artists do this and it is especially important to get the composition right.

I am so happy and lucky to have this passion for art because I am sorely missing the tango floor, I will really make a plan to show my face at a milonga soon.

P.S.
So far the zebra poll seems to have more votes in favour of finishing them.
I am considering this – since I already have a scanned image of the work as it is now for posterity.

3 comments:

  1. Time again to combine art and tango in a participatory conceptual art performance. To see the artist at last year's performance go to www.tangopanopticon.com. This 1st of May, from 17:00 to 18:00 SA time, all over the world different tango events will be webcasting live video simultaneously. Jhb's location will be Mandela Square, Sandton. Details of the worldwide sensual excursion on video surveillance at http://www.tangointervention.org/events/panopticon/

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow is it going to be on again?
    Do you think more people will get involved this time?
    It was such fun last year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely many more people. Expect thirty.

    ReplyDelete