Thursday, May 27, 2010

Framed!

I went to pick up my portrait of Claire yesterday, which I gave to a lovely woman called Tanya, who owns a framing shop in Sunninghill. She helped me choose the right frame and got her husband, who is an artist, to paint one of the wooden pieces by hand in order to get the colour just right.

I had to wait three weeks for it, but I am very pleased with the results.

In fact, I think it looks fabulous!

If you like this frame, you can find her shop at the shopping centre in Maxwell Drive, it's called Sunninghill Art and Frame and can be found on the basement level down the escalators outside Spar.

I took some of my other paintings to show her as she displays art for sale in her shop as well, she liked my stuff and was interested in a couple of landscapes, but she said the art market is slow at the moment and I wouldn’t get much for them.

This is because people expect to pay much less for a small painting, even though the amount of work that went into it is the same. It seems that it might not be financially viable to paint small works. I decided to hold onto them for the time being as they form part of The Walk series and I have an idea it might be nice to hold a mini exhibition of the whole series when it’s done.

She loved my portrait painting and wants more of that – she also mentioned that she has a lot of landscapes already so it would be great to have something in the portrait genre.

My pig paintings also proved worth selling, but two have been sold already and the other two I want to keep.

The rest already live in other people’s houses.

Here’s the thing, the only portraits I feel the urge to do at the moment are of my daughter Claire, it’s easier to paint something that you feel strongly about, but then I can’t bear to part with portraits of her because they have so much sentimental value.

I definitely want to explore the pig and other animals in strange settings theme more, I will get back to that warthog painting one of these days, the one I posted a while back but was struggling with.

I am also toying with the idea of trying my hand at abstract stuff; I think it would be fun, though it is a lot more difficult than painting what you see.

So much art to do, so little time!

3 comments:

  1. i think she may have a point, however, your paintings have a definite and undeniable personality and life about them, and i have a feeling that they will attract their own individual buyers, sorta like an art soulmate kinda thing.. it'll sell, no doubt about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the positive comment, they are all my special babies, but I suppose I will have to sell some in order to be able to make more.
    I would love to get more of them framed, but I suppose as finances permit.

    ReplyDelete