Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Only twenty four hours in a day




I have a general feeling of urgency and sometimes frustration.
I want to get into my studio more and just paint, but until I am famous and raking in the dough – I still gotta keep as many hours as possible with my day job of programming.
The funny thing is, when I was younger and had graduated with an art degree, I really, really wanted to be a programmer. I worked hard and believed in myself and eventually I got there. I am sure that as maths and art were my two favourite subjects at school, this has become a running theme in my life.
Then of course there is this thing called Argentine Tango, which got its hook into me and I want to be really good at that too. Here’s the thing, all three need lots of time and dedication to get good. Here’s the other thing – every day has only 24 hours in and some of them are needed for sleeping. Being a mother to a two year old isn’t helping, it’s not a complaint – parenting is the greatest joy I have ever experienced, but it really does eat into those hours.
I gave up TV a couple of months ago, you know how lovely it is to veg in front of the goggle box after a long day, and there are occasional days when I say stuff it and do the veg thing – but I am selective about what I watch.
So You Think You Can Dance has ended but America’s Got Talent has just started, thank goodness for PVR – I can record and watch later, even if it takes a few days for me to get to them.
Luckily I don’t live in Uruguay – they have 24 hour tango TV!
So the evenings when I used to goggle eye the goggle box I now spend programming, which gives me an hour or two in the day for painting.
I need the day because natural light is important otherwise the colours come out all wrong.
I want to spend more than just a couple of hours though, which is the frustrating part.
I picked my daughter Claire up from school yesterday a bit earlier than usual – she’s going through an emotional clingy phase – and I asked her if she wanted to come and paint in Mummy’s studio.
She was keen – Claire LOVES to paint – so I set up her little table with brushes, paper and paint and the two of us spent just under an hour in my studio.
She got bored after a while and then of course started touching everything, including standing barefoot on an old not yet dry palette.
So I had to call it a day, but not before I finished up my latest painting in The Walk series. It’s a piece of veld at the corner of CR Swart where it meets Elnita and .Kowie Road in Boskruin.
I captured the scene just in time because the grass has been cut now and all the cosmos is gone.

Oh and before I forget, yeah right – it has been buzzing in my head since it happened, I have been published by an online Arts and Culture magazine called Novo Slovo.
I had to write a piece about me and my art and include a painting.
Here is the link.Karen Steffano - Introspection

As for tango, I did attend a fantastic tango breakfast at Doppio Zero in Rosebank on Sunday, I got to dance with my husband Leo (he hardly ever comes to tango) and it was fun.
I missed the Tuesday night milonga – I didn’t sleep well the night before so had an early night instead. I have considered going to Bert and Brigitte’s one tonight in Northcliff, but if I don’t get there I have been invited to a tango braai this weekend so will get my fix then.

2 comments:

  1. bloody hell karen, you've done it again, from yesterday to today you've brought the cosmos alive, beautiful painting! undisputed talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh gosh gee thanks Marlon. I have a love hate relationship with this painting - I can't decide if it is any good or not. Sometimes I think it looks great and other times I think I should have spent more time on it.

    ReplyDelete